My tried and tested recipe for Roasted Garlic and Tomato Soup is a sure-fire way to use up your tomatoes. As an added bonus, the soup freezes beautifully. Enjoy!
ROASTED GARLIC AND TOMATO SOUP
A fabulous tomato soup recipe that uses fresh tomatoes.
- 2 LB fresh firm tomatoes – Roma tomatoes are ideal
- 12 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 5 TBL olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 TBL olive oil, extra
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Thai Chili, finely chopped (or other hot chili)
- 2 TBL balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp soft brown sugar
- 1 TBL all-purpose (plain) flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Cut the tomatoes in half and lay cut-side up on a baking tray with the garlic. Add the oil, some seasoning and the basil. Bake for 20 minutes, remove the garlic. Bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Heat the extra oil in a heavy-based pan. Add the onion and chili and cook, covered for 10 minutes over medium heat. Stir frequently.
- Chop the tomatoes and squeeze the garlic pulp from their skins. Add to the pan along with the vinegar and sugar. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the flour and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and add the stock. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste and add the parsley.